Cosmonaut Krasimir Stoyanov guest lecturer at Sofia Airport

A month before the International Aviation and Cosmonautics Day, the educational initiative "Aviation School" met children from a school in Sofia with Bulgarian cosmonaut and researcher Krassimir Stoyanov.

During his lecture, he explained how he preparеd for the Second Soviet-Bulgarian Space Fligh in 1987-1988, shared with children curious facts and stories of the aviation and cosmonautics world and showed them how space food looks like.


Sofia Airport welcomes and sees off its guests with martenitsas

On the Day of Baba Marta (Grandma March) – 1 March, Sofia Airport welcomed and saw off passengers with martenitsas and wishes for good health, luck and prosperity.

The traditional symbols were given by students of 140th High School “Ivan Bogorov in Sofia, who, dressed in folk costumes, raised the spirits and made passengers smile. Martenitsas also provoked great interest among foreign visitors who learned about the Bulgarian custom.


Great potential for development of air transport to the Western Balkans

There is enormous potential for the development of air transport to the Western Balkans. This was announced by Assya Ivanova, Chair of "Sofia Airport" EAD’s Board of Directors, during the first aviation event of the programme of the Bulgarian Presidency of the Council of the EU.


Sofia Airport operates in winter conditions

Today, 26.02.2018, Sofia Airport operates in heavy snow and winter conditions.

The runway for take-off and landing, the taxiways and the apron are cleaned from snow. Aircraft de-icing procedures are carried out. Due to the snowfall, flights are operated with some deviation from the schedule.

We urge citizens to take into account the winter conditions and allow enough time to travel to the airport. Departing passengers are advised to arrive at least two hours before their flights.


Sofia Airport with nearly half a million passengers in January


In the first month of 2018, Sofia Airport served a total of 499,688 passengers achieving an increase of 6.6% compared to the same period in 2017. Terminal 2 was used by 63% or 315,987 of all passengers, and Terminal 1 – by the remaining 37% (183,681).