12
Aug

Strong July for Sofia Airport

Passengers

Sofia Airport reported an 8,3 % increase in passenger flow in July 2015 as compared to the same period last year. Out of 393 312 departed and arrived passengers, 67 % used Terminal 2 and the rest 33 % used Terminal 1.

 

Traffic on international scheduled flights increased by 7,5 %, reaching 364 000 passengers for the month. There was an increase in the number of passengers flying to European destinations that were increased in the last week of July with the addition of five new direct routes – to Cologne, Memmingen/Munich West, Geneva, Naples and Bari. Traffic on scheduled flights to Doha increased twice, as well as on seasonal flights to Catania. The regional destinations of Athens and Belgrade were subject to a growing interest as well.

 

In the last month the tourists on charter flights were 2744 in total, which was 22 % more than July 2014. About 80 % of passengers preferred a Bulgarian airline for their holiday.

Passenger flow on domestic flights increased by 4 % in July this year due to the additional flight to Varna. A total of 22 343 passengers flew to the two Black Sea airports – 860 more than last July.

 

Aircraft movements

The total number of aircraft movements at Sofia Airport in July was 4 173 as compared to 3 901 in the same month of 2014 (+7 %). An increase of 4,2 % was reported in international scheduled flights, with a 5,3 % increase achieved by foreign air carriers.

 

The number of charter flights was 8 % more than the previous year, Bulgarian airlines achieving almost double growth.

 

Domestic flights in the country increased by 6,3 %.

 

Cargo

Total cargo flow at Sofia Airport in July was 1 593 tonnes as compared to 1 440 tonnes in the same month of 2014 (+10,6 %).

 

The volumes of specialized cargo marked a 16 % increase as compared to the corresponding period a year earlier, while cargo volumes carried on passenger flights– 3,7 %.

 

New proposals

As of the end of March 2016 the schedule of Sofia Airport Terminal 1 will be expanded with four new year-round flights. The flights will be operated by airline Wizz Air and the tickets are already on sale at attractive prices.

 

The low-cost carrier launches flights to Alicante and Oslo Torp (on Thursday and Sunday) from 27 March, and from 28 March (on Monday and Friday) launches flights to Bristol and Hamburg Lübeck.

 

As of May 2016 the largest low-cost airline in Europe – Ryanair will fly every day from Sofia to London Stansted.

As a result of the new proposals, Sofia will be connected via year-round flights to 54 airports in Europe and the Middle East in the next summer.