In the first month of 2018, Sofia Airport served a total of 499,688 passengers achieving an increase of 6.6% compared to the same period in 2017. Terminal 2 was used by 63% or 315,987 of all passengers, and Terminal 1 – by the remaining 37% (183,681).
Passenger traffic on international scheduled flights, forming 92% of total airport traffic, grew by 4.4% compared to the first month of last year. Double is the increase in the number of passengers on domestic flights – from over 10,000 passengers in January 2017 to nearly 20,000 in the same month of 2018. This growth was due to the recently launched flights operated by a new airline on the Sofia-Varna route.
The departing and landing aircraft at Sofia Airport reached nearly 4,500 in the first month of the year.
The volume of processed cargo and mail shipments increased by 9.6% in January and equalled to 1 687 tonnes. Of these, 59% were carried on cargo aircraft and the remaining 41% – on passenger ones.