Over 500 thousand passengers at Sofia Airport in September

The passengers who passed through Sofia Airport in September were 26% more as compared to last year, and the passengers on international scheduled flights increased by 30%.

The first nine months of the year were also record-breaking for the airport. Passenger numbers were 15% higher compared to the same period last year, or 3,6 million. Terminal 1 saw 43% of all passengers and Terminal 2 – the remaining 57%.

Passenger flow on international scheduled flights reached an 18 % increase. This was due to the increase in frequencies on many of the operated routes, as well as the introduction of new destinations. The newly launched routes for the period January – September 2016 were 20: Birmingham, Bristol, Glasgow, Liverpool, London/Stansted, in the United Kingdom; Baden-Baden/Karlsruhe, Berlin/Schönefeld, Nuremberg and Hamburg in Germany; Venice/Treviso, Palermo and Pisa in Italy; Alicante and Valencia/ Castellon in Spain; Budapest, Hungary; Kiev, Ukraine; Copenhagen, Denmark; Kutaisi, Georgia; Lisbon, Portugal and Stockholm/Skavsta, Sweden.

For the nine months of the year an increase of 13% was reached by aircraft movements, international scheduled flights having the greates share (17%). Cargo also increased by 13%. The growth in cargo volumes was 14%, and in mail shipments – 11%.


The new Sofia Airport winter schedule that comes into force from 30 October and applies until 25 March 2017 will offer to passengers new direct flights to 70 destinations.

More than 29 airlines, out of which 3 cargo carriers, will operate at the airport. The most preferred destinations to which airlines offer flights are London, Vienna, Munich, Frankfurt and Rome.

New routes will be launched to Dublin, Basel, and Doncaster Sheffield shortly before Christmas. A great deal of the destinations is operated by more than one airline, which provides passengers with more options and opportunities.